Using our Cleaning list layout
Instead of dreading the overwhelming task of spring cleaning, why not spread it out over the entire year? Use our Cleaning list layout to brainstorm all the big cleaning items and then schedule them in throughout the year.
Not only can you use this to layout to program in when you want to get the big jobs done, but you can also use it to tick the items off so that you remember that you did it.
Use it for anything you need to clean, maintain, and keep your home organised and spread the tasks out as much as you need. Some jobs may need to be done every month (e.g., change your bedding) and are scheduled that way, while others may be once a year (e.g., cleaning windows). You can even use it to keep track of important maintenance tasks like changing the batteries in your smoke alarms along with the cleaning items.
One suggestion for using the layout is to highlight the month(s) that you have assigned to each task and then mark it with a pen when it is completed. Maintaining a clean and organised living space isn't just about aesthetics; it can have a profound impact on your mental and physical well-being.
A clean home is a canvas for a clear mind and a healthier, happier life.
Ideas for cleaning tasks you may wish to schedule and track:
- organising your cwar, cabinets, and storage spaces
- deep clean your kitchen appliances, such as the oven, refrigerator, and microwave
- vacuum and clean upholstery (e.g. couch and chairs)
- dust and wipe down electronics and entertainment centers
- empty and clean out the pantry, discarding expired items
- scrub kitchen counters, splashback, and sink
- wipe down light fixtures and change any burnt-out bulbs
- rotate and flip mattresses
- launder or dry-clean curtains and wash bedding
- clean windows and mirrors
- high pressure clean exterior walls, decking, and patio
- clean and repair outdoor furniture
- tend to the garden and yard, including weeding and mulching
- deep clean and disinfect showers, bathtubs, toilets, and sinks
- clean out and organise the garage or storage shed
- clean and maintain your barbecue / outdoor kitchen
- sort through old clothes and donate or discard what you no longer
- organise home offices or study areas
- dust and wipe down bookshelves
- clean and disinfect computer keyboards and other frequently touched items
- deep clean carpets and rugs
- Wipe down baseboards and walls with sugar soap
- Clean and organise the fridge and freezer
- Empty and clean the spice cabinet, discarding expired items
- Clean and polish the dining table and chairs
- Vacuum and clean upholstered dining chairs
- Clean light fixtures and ceiling fans
- Declutter and make space for Christmas decorations
- Deep clean the oven
Seven tips for success
1. Set realistic goals: don't overwhelm yourself. Break tasks into manageable chunks and spread them throughout the year.
2. Gather supplies: keep your cleaning supplies organised and easily accessible. This prevents excuses and delays.
3. Enlist help: share the workload with family members or housemates. Cleaning can be a team effort.
4. Stay consistent: stick to the schedule as closely as possible. Consistency is key to maintaining a tidy home.
5. Adapt as needed: life can be unpredictable. If you miss a task or fall behind, don't stress. Adjust the schedule and carry on.
6. Celebrate small wins: acknowledge your accomplishments. A clean and organised space is something to be proud of.
7. Follow the schedule: by following this month-by-month cleaning guide, you can transform your home into a haven of cleanliness and order without the stress of a massive spring cleaning ordeal once a year. Enjoy a tidy home year-round.
SEE RELATED REELS ON INSTAGRAM